On my To Be Reviewed Stack!

On My To Be Reviewed Pile!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Chick-Fil-A Bru-ha-ha

I know you all have been waiting on my tirade about ... here goes.

I don't give a flying fig that the CEO of Chick-Fil-A is against gay marriage.  I really don't.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, their own thoughts, their own moral compass.

The problem I have is with the CEO dragging his company into the issue.  He could have gone on radio as Joe Public and here are my views.  No, he went on radio, tossing his company in the ring.

At every company I have worked for, the first rule in social media is that you do not and cannot say you represent the organization when you express your thoughts.  I've even been party to senior management discussions where they wanted to penalize employees for things they said on their own computers, on their own time, when they didn't even mentioned they worked at the company.

I'm against an organization using profits from their business to bully other people.  I'm against the CEO of an organization saying his company is against a segment of the population.

Would we be having a Chick-Fil-A Appreciation day if the CEO had gone on TV saying he thought black people shouldn't be allowed to marry?  That black people are ruining society?  Or that fat people shouldn't be allowed to marry? Jewish people shouldn't be allowed to marry?

If you want to publicly declare that your organization is against people, that your organization thinks that part of the population is godless, then you need to be prepared for the consequences.  You need to be prepared that people won't agree with you.  To bellyache that you're being picked on, when YOU chose the fight is ridiculous.

How about you just keep your opinions out of your company, and serve up some chicken nuggets?

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Wanted to say thanks for stopping by and commenting to win a copy of Tuesday's Child! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed your tbr pile. I love Diana Gabaldon. I have the last in the Jamie series to read, but haven't had the time to work it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten to read the Lord John books yet, and especially the Lord John and the Scottish Prisoner (Jamie's in it). One of my sons is named after Jamie from the books :)

      Delete