On my To Be Reviewed Stack!

On My To Be Reviewed Pile!

Monday, September 3, 2012

Book Review: The Matchmaker's Mark by Regan Black

Title: The Matchmaker's Mark Author: Regan Black Publication Date: September 7, 2011
Book Description: When you're 'more' than human, finding your soulmate isn't as easy as answering a few questions online. It's best to track down Campbell Consulting, a.k.a. the Matchmaker. In Charleston, South Carolina half-elf Lily has a birthmark her elders vow is a mystical promise of true love. So far she's yet to encounter Mr. Right in either the elf or human realms. Dare, a wood elf, has led the Matchmaker's security team for years. In town on a simple errand, when the Matchmaker disappears his future is turned inside out. And Amy Campbell is a completely human English professor about to discover the true magic of the family business... Review: 4 out of 5 stars This book has been on my TBR list for awhile now, and I finally couldn't resist it anymore. The story deals with a visiting resident, Amy Campbell, who suddenly gets thrown into the family business of matchmaking. The story takes you through Amy's realization of her new role in life, and the implications of this new role, how she grows into her role, and a match she makes along the way. I really enjoyed this story, I really just breezed through it in the chances I had to read. I loved the character of Lily and Dare and how feelings of not being good enough impact the way you see life. And just how hard it is to let go of long-held beliefs. I also enjoyed modern-day woman Amy, fighting with Dare, her protection elf, on not hiding herself away, and wanting to try to live a normal life. Even, when in the end, she discovers the truth. I loved the characters, and the basic story line. I do, however, feel that this story should have been at least two different stories. One of Lily and Dare, and one of Amy. The first half of the story dealt all about Amy and her new role, throwing in new plot lines, that never get answered in the book. The second half, deals with Lily and Dare and their growing love for each other. I felt sort of cheated by the end, because the book never addresses some of the major plot points of Amy's side: Where her grandmother is, and what happens to the werewolf who was marked? It also skimmed over Lily and Dare's story too much. I would have liked to have known more about the childhood wish Lily made. How Dare saw it. And a better explanation of her "banishment" into the human world. The brief talk with her father didn't really answer any questions for me. The two major plot-lines were so big, I felt it was sort of a mistake to try to tackle BOTH in a 250 page book. Hopefully Ms. Black will explore some of Amy's story further in another novel, or do a sequel where we learn about the werewolf. While there were some disappointments as far as character back story, I did greatly enjoy this book. There wasn't the simple "fall in line" tack that some writers rely on. The characters had their own personality and I truly could imagine the conversations taking place. It had me riveted. I can't wait to read another of Ms. Black's books. Disclosure: I received this book from a contest on the author's website. I did not receive any compensation for my review, and this review is unsolicited.

No comments:

Post a Comment