On my To Be Reviewed Stack!

On My To Be Reviewed Pile!

Saturday, July 13, 2013

When do children lose their innocence?

Is it in tiny increments?

Is it all at one time?

I have made quite an effort to keep my children sheltered. There are reasons, both good and bad about doing this.  

I grew up terrorized by classmates.  I don't want that to happen to the boys.  Kids pick on other kids for anything as stupid as having red hair, much less children with anxiety and autism, and who's behavior isn't quite the same as peers.  I have been vigilant in addressing anything I think is bullying.

The last few days, I've been getting snippets from Jamie.  He's afraid of looking stupid.  He's afraid people will make fun of him.

It's driving me crazy.  He's 8.  He should be enjoying dressing up like a cow for Chick-Fil-A Day.  Not worrying if people will think he looks stupid.

I hate that the world has turned my beautiful, innocent babies and are slowly turning them into cuss-word-hearing, self-doubting children.

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine it is hard releasing children to the general public. I don't have children of my own, but I know how much I want to protect my own nieces and nephews from unkind words and things that will take away their innocence. I hope your boys are doing well and still keeping their innocence alive. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete