On my To Be Reviewed Stack!

On My To Be Reviewed Pile!

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Book Review - Exhuming Mary McCarthy by Jessica Lamirand

Title:  Exhuming Mary McCarthy
Author:  Jessica Lamirand
Publication Date:  March 10, 2015



Book Description
With her white patent leather platform shoes and love of the Pixies, no one would guess that dreamy Jessica's manual for life is Anne of Green Gables. In this memoir of extraordinary honesty, Jessica journeys through college and the deep bonds of friendship that propel her out of her shell and into a new world. As a shy, sheltered teen, Jessica realizes, as soon as she enters Colorado College, that her fantasy world has not prepared her for the realities of life at this freewheeling academic oasis. Lost, she bonds with six girls in her dorm who dub themselves “The Group” after Mary McCarthy's bestselling 1963 novel. Jessica's Group vows to remain friends forever, avoiding the fate of their namesakes. But even as Jessica fights to save their friendship, time, addictions, and mental illness form cracks in the Group's foundation. And then Jessica, still stuck in her happily-ever-after fantasies, falls for the one guy the Group despises—handsome slacker Malcolm.
Set against a mid-1990s pop culture background, the friends experiment with the joys of uninhibited choices and deal with the accompanying pitfalls of sexual pressures, self-image issues, and substance abuse. Exhuming Mary McCarthy is a telling, insightful saga of college life beyond the classroom that will mesmerize readers with bittersweet humor as they journey with Jessica on the path towards adulthood.


Book Review:  1 out of 5 stars
There are a few books where I have to force myself to finish.  There have been a few that I simply could not, one being Alison Weir, I love her books to pieces, but they're so educational that they put me to sleep....literally.

This book reads more like a diary of Jessica's time in college.  If you don't like reading the mundane day-to-day goings on of a naive girl, this isn't the book for you.


I enjoyed getting to know the other member of "The Group," and hearing their stories as well.  But at 507 pages, this story dragged on.  About halfway through, I was growing severely tired of Jessica and her adolescent stupidity.  Granted, I read this as a 40 year old, who went to college in the 90s (the settings of the novel), and know that everything is not the life or death that it seems.

I probably would have enjoyed it better, if I read the novel when I was in college and was living the issues that were covered in the book.  If you're my age, don't waste your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment